14.11.18

[Track #056] Yegoshikha Cemetery

location: Yegoshikha Cemetery, Perm, Russia | time: 16.57 on May 13th 2017 | ambient: Cemetery/park | author: Morten Poulsen

"When I was in Perm in Russia, I found the city to be very noisy and dusty. My hotel was in front of a large square where old trams from the soviet times was passing by every few minutes and they were loud and squeaky. I can’t speak or read russian, but wanted to explore, so I stepped on to one of the trams, having no idea where it was going. After some time I stepped off at a random spot, and that was when I found a big park with many trees that seemed to also be a cemetery. Even though it was in the center of the city, the park was very quite and hauntingly beautiful. It was spring and everything was green and peaceful, though all the plants and trees was growing wild around the apparently randomly placed graves. It was such a contrast to the noisy city just outside the park perimeters, that I had to come back a few days later, and spend more time in this place that spoke to me in a deep and strange way - a place that I might never get the chance to visit again in my life. In the foreground of the soundscape there are birds and general noise from the wind in the trees. In the background of the soundscape you can hear someone shouting, and I swear I couldn’t find the source of that shouting. It came from somewhere outside the park, but the sound bounced between the trees, so as to seem like it was a cemetery ghost that spoke from nowhere or everywhere."

No comments:

Post a Comment